1. Read verses 1-3. Describe the image King Nebuchadnezzar made. Where had the idea probably come from? (2:31,38) What was his purpose in doing this? Who did he summon to come for the dedication ceremony?
2. Read verses 4-7. Describe the impressive dedication ceremony of the image. What were all the people commanded to do? What was the punishment for disobedience? What happened when the sound of music was heard?
3. Read verses 8-12. Why could God's people–including Daniel's three friends– not obey the king's command? (Ex 20:4,5) What was the report of certain astrologers? What was their intent?
4. Read verses 13-15. How did King Nebuchadnezzar react? What was his attitude toward Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego? How did he warn them?
5. Read verses 16-18. How did Daniel's three friends respond? What did they believe about God? (Ge 1; Ex 15:2; Ro 8:28,38,39) What was their firm resolution? How could they refuse to obey the king? (Jn 14:21; Heb 11:36-38)
6. Read verses 19-23. Why and how did Nebuchadnezzar's attitude toward the three change? What did he order? Read verses 24-27. What did Nebuchadnezzar see? When he called the three friends to come out, what shocked him and his officials?
7. Read verses 28-30. What was King Nebuchadnezzar's confession? His proclamation? Why didn't he acknowledge God as his personal God? What is the difference between worldly men who love themselves and men who love God?