1. Read verses 17-20. What does "the Law" and "the prophets" refer to? What must Jesus' disciples know about Jesus and the Law? How did Jesus fulfill the law? What does this mean to disciples of Jesus? What standard must believers live up to? In what way did the Pharisees keep the law, yet not keep God's standard? What will be the consequence if we don't keep the word of God?
2. Read verses 21-26. What does Jesus teach about murder and anger? About the real meaning of the command, "Do not murder"? What warning is there for someone who lives by their anger? What should we do when angry with others?
3. Read verses 27-32. What does Jesus teach about adultery and lust? About the real meaning of the command: "Do not commit adultery"? What warning is there for those who live by their lust? What does Jesus teach about divorce and adultery?
4. Read verses 33-37. Why should we not swear? Why do people swear? What does Jesus teach about simply saying, "Yes" and, "No"? How does such a command help a person live before God?
5. Read verses 38-48. How should we react to those who are unjust and to our enemies? Why? What does this passage teach us about our Heavenly Father? What can we learn about our aim as "sons of your Father in heaven"?