1. Read verses 1-3. What did Jesus do after he finished instructing his disciples? Where was John and why was he there? (Mt 14:3-5) What spurred him to send his disciples to ask Jesus a question? What was the question? Why do you think he sent them to ask this question?
2. Read verses 4-6. What was Jesus’ answer? How does this answer identify him as the Messiah (Christ)? (Isa 29:18; 35:5-6; 61:1)
3. Among his Messianic works, what is the importance of “the dead are raised”? What does verse 6 mean?
4. Read verses 7-11. What did Jesus say about John’s life and mission? Why does he call John a prophet and more than a prophet? In what sense is John great? What does he mean by least and greatest in the kingdom of heaven? (See Mt 18:4)
5. Read verses 12-15. What else can we learn here about John’s prophetic role? What was the focal point of his ministry? (Mt 3:6) What does it mean that the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing since the days of John the Baptist?