"Joshua took all these royal cities and their kings and put them to the sword. He totally destroyed them, as Moses the servant of the Lord had commanded."
1. Read verses 1-5. What did Jabin king of Hazor hear? How did he react? To whom did he send word? Where did they join forces? How does Joshua describe the army that assembled to fight Israel?
2. Read verses 6-11. What did God tell Joshua to do? What did God promise? (6) How did Joshua obey? Why might it be difficult and impractical? Describe the battle in detail. What did Joshua do to Hazor and its king? Why was he hiding in his city?
3. Look at verses 12-23. How did Joshua obey Moses (12,15,20,23)? See Exodus 23:20-23 and Deuteronomy 7:1-2. How does this show Joshua to be a man with a learning mind?
4. Read verses 14-15. What were Moses' instructions regarding plunder? Regarding the Canaanite people? Why was it important not to compromise with Canaanite culture? What does Joshua's obedience to Moses show about him?
5. Read verses 16-23. How did Joshua continue the conquest of Canaan? How did he continue to follow Moses' direction? When did the land have rest from war?