"But the Israelites acted unfaithfully in regard to the devoted things; Achan son of Carmi, the son of Zimri, the son of Zerah, of the tribe of Judah, took some of them. So the Lord's anger burned against Israel."
1. Describe the battle that had just been won. Read 7:1. What did Achan do? What did God think about this? Why was God angry at all Israel when only one person was unfaithful? (1Co 12:26,27) What can we learn here?
2. Read verses 2-5. Where was Ai? What did the spies Joshua sent to spy out Ai report? When a few men went to attack Ai, what happened? How did this surprising defeat affect the people?
3. Read verses 6-9. What did Joshua do? The elders? Why did Joshua regret crossing the Jordan? What was his fear? His prayer topic?
4. Read verses 10-12. How did the Lord answer Joshua? Why had the Israelites failed at Ai? Read verses 13-15. What did God tell Joshua to do?
5. Read verses 16-21. How was the culprit found? What was his confession? What was his motive in stealing devoted things? What does "devoted things" mean? Why was his sin so bad?
6. Read verses 22-26. What was done to consecrate the people and assuage the fierce anger of the Lord? Why was this place called the "Valley of Achor"?
7. What can we learn from this event about individual responsibility? About the seriousness of unfaithfulness in the time of battle?