"At that time the Lord said to Joshua, ‘Make flint knives and circumcise the Israelites again."
1. Read verse 1. Why did the hearts of the Amorite kings and the Canaanite kings melt and their courage evaporate?
2. Read verses 2-9. What command did the Lord give Joshua? Why did the Israelites need to be circumcised again? Why did the Israelites wander in the desert for 40 years? Who among the Israelites had not been circumcised?
3. When did circumcision begin? What was its meaning to the Israelites? Why was this place called Gilgal? What does it mean that the Lord rolled away the reproach of Egypt? What is the spiritual meaning of circumcision? (Ro 2:29)
4. Why was it foolish from a military point of view for the men to be circumcised at this time? Why was it necessary?
5. Read verses 10-12. What did the Passover symbolize? Why did they celebrate it at this time? Why did the manna stop right after this? What did this mean?
6. Read verses 13-15. When Joshua neared Jericho who did he meet? Why did he say that he was on neither side? What did Joshua do? Why was this holy ground? How do these events prepare the Israelites to conquer Jericho?