1. Read about the trial before Pilate (28-40). Why did the Jews hand Jesus over to Pilate? How did this fulfill the words Jesus had spoken? (3:14) Why was Pilate not happy to have Jesus brought to him?
2. What charge had been brought against Jesus? What did Pilate ask him? How did Jesus respond? When Pilate admitted Jesus' trial was not his idea, what did Jesus teach him about his kingdom? What does it mean?
3. What opportunity did Jesus give Pilate to stand on the side of God and truth? What did Pilate really think of Jesus, and how did he attempt to release him? Why did he ask, "What is truth?"
* JESUS SENTENCED TO BE CRUCIFIED (19:1-16a)
4. Why and how did Pilate mock Jesus' kingship and have him flogged? What shows his compromising spirit? Why is he ultimately responsible for Jesus' death? What did Jesus teach Pilate about himself? (7-11)
5. How did the words and actions of the Jewish leaders show the corruption in their hearts?
6. Think about the meaning of Jesus' arrest, trial, and death in the light of 2 Co 5:10; Isa 53:6; 1 Pe 2:24; Jn 10:11.